Oh, the distractions! There are so many distractions fighting for our attention every day. Whether you’re researching potential clients or reviewing a product or service, if your tasks involve internet use, the distractions can be crippling to your productivity. Straying from your scheduled tasks can cost you time, money and momentum.
There is hope for the seemingly terminally distracted who must work online. In fact, there’s an app for that. More than one. Internet-blocking applications offer options that allow users to choose to temporarily block access to the sites that distract them most, or even to block internet access completely, for self-determined periods, and they can work on whichever of your devices you choose. With varying degrees of customization and flexibility, you’re sure to find one that will help you regain your focus and productivity. The top applications – such as Freedom, Anti-Social, Cold Turkey and Rescue Time – offer varying suites of options, including:
- Use on all your devices – Mac and Windows – including desktops/laptops, tablets and phones.
- Ability to set lists of websites and apps to be blocked or allow complete internet blocking.
- Assignment of a set period for blocking.
- Advance scheduling of sessions, meaning the sessions can start automatically at a designated time.
- Monitoring your browsing activity.
- Using your online activity to provide a productivity score at the end of the day.
These apps make it much easier to take control of your online time. Most offer a free version and paid subscription options. If you’re looking for a way to focus your efforts and kick-start your productivity, give one a try.